The below recipe for a mixed nut caramel pie has been translated from one of the leading Danish low carb food blogs: ravfood.com – where Kathe Rav spoils her readers with delicious and healthy recipes! This particular recipe was posted on April 1st, 2016. The below narrative is Kathe’s:
This post is definitely not an April Fools. On the contrary, I feel that this mixed nut caramel pie is one of my best ever low carb baked goods. The pie in the photos is completely sugar and gluten free – and the taste is incredible.
The pie has a crunchy crust, lots of healthy nuts and a delicious sweet taste of caramel.
You could choose to cover the crust with dark chocolate which would complement the sweet pie. I used Fat-reduced Almond Flour for the pie. It should be possible to use regular almond flour – I just haven’t tried it.
The pie needs to be served completely cooled so consider baking the day prior to serving.
Use a 13 3/4″ x 4 1/2″ pie pan, or alternatively a 8″ x 8″ pan.
Ingredients for crust
1.25 cups (=140 g) fat-reduced almond flour
1/4 cup (= 35 g) Sukrin Icing
1/4 t salt
100 g butter, cold and cut into small chunks (50 g, if using regular almond flour)
Ingredients for caramel filling
1/2 cup (=100 g) Sukrin Gold
75 g Fiber Syrup Gold
125 g butter
1 t vanilla powder
1 pinch of salt
2 T Sukrin Icing
200 g mixed nuts (I used walnuts, cashews, filberts and pistachios)
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F convection
- Grease your pan thoroughly
- Mix almond flour, Sukrin Icing and salt in a food porcessor
- Add the cooled butter
- Once the ingredients have been mixed, kneed the dough on the table. It might seem somewhat dry and crumbly
- Spread the dough in the greased pan
- Bake in the middle of the oven for approximately 15 minutes – until it browns around the edges
- Filling: Put butter, Sukrin Gold and Fiber Syrup in a pot
- Boil for 7 minutes without stirring
- Remove from heat and stir vanilla and salt into the mixture
- Add 2 T Sukrin Melis and whisk it together with a whisk
- Spread the coarsely chopped nuts over the baked crust
- Pour the caramel filling and bake the pie for an additional 12-15 minutes
- Once the filling has gotten darker and thick and bubbly, the pie is done
- Cool completely before cutting and serving
Nutrional info – 1 serving (1/16 of recipe)
- Calories: 219
- Carbs: 3,1 g
- Fiber: 5,8 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Protein: 5,6 g