Sugar Free Hazelnut Ice Cream
The below recipe has been translated from one of the leading Danish low carb food blogs: ravfood.com – where Kathe Rav spoils her readers with delicious and healthy recipes!
This Sugar Free Hazelnut Ice Cream is almost sinful in all of its deliciousness – with a taste like sweet, soft nougat. The taste is derived primarily from the roasted hazelnut kernels and Sukrin Gold – and there is absolutely nothing sinful about it as all the sugar has been replaced with Sukrin Gold and Fiber Syrup Clear.
A few hours prior to serving, I scooped the ice cream into champagne glasses, which I kept in my freezer. When we were ready for dessert, I garnished with fresh berries and chopped nuts – an easy and impressively beautiful dish.
NB! The ice cream is somewhat sweet which I think go well with the hazelnuts. If you prefer your desserts less sweet, I suggest using half the amount of Fiber Syrup Clear.
- 1 cup hazelnuts (filberts)
- 4 egg yolks
- 3.4 fl oz (70 g) Sukrin Gold
- 3.4 fl oz (85 g) Fiber Syrup Clear
- 7 fl oz heavy whipping cream
- 5.1 fl oz whole milk (substitute hwc)
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum (optional – used to stabilize ice cream)
- fresh berries
- Spread out hazelnuts on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake in the oven at 390 F for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the nuts – they darken quickly
- Let the nuts cool and then rub them against each other to lose the brown outer layer. The easiest way is to use a colander
- Grind half the nuts and chop the other half
- Whisk egg yolks and Sukrin Gold thoroughly
- Bring milk, heavy whipping cream and Sukrin Fiber Syrup to a boil
- Whisk the hot dairy mixture into the egg mixture
- Add Xanthan Gum to stabilize the ice cream
- Pour the ice cream batter back into the pot and stir while bringing to almost boil. Do NOT boil. Remove from heat immediately
- Add the hazelnuts – minus some for garnish
- Cool down and freeze in an ice cream maker or pour into a form and leave in freezer
- If using freezer, stir the batter occasionally
- If you have an ice cream maker with compressor, the hot batter can be processed immediately
- Scoop into champagne or wine glasses when done and leave in freezer – makes for a beautiful dessert
- Garnish with fresh berries and chopped nuts