One of the best things about Crème Brûlée is the crispy layer of caramelized sugar on top – something that has just been a challenge for a sugar free version of the popular dessert. However, Sukrin Gold has the ability to caramelize when being broiled with a small torch, just like regular sugar on regular Crème Brûlée making the sugar free Crème Brûlée a real option.
1/3 cup Sukrin
3.3 fl oz egg yolks
1 vanilla bean (or the equivalent in vanilla powder)
14 fl oz heavy cream
5/12 cup Sukrin Gold
Small food torch and 4 ramekins (heat safe bowls)
- Preheat oven to 230 F.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds. Mix the seeds with a little bit of Sukrin, to avoid their sticking together.
- Quickly whisk Sukrin and egg yolks together in a bowl.
- In a pot heat the vanilla, the empty vanilla bean and the heavy cream to approx. 195 F and remove from the heat. Discard the vanilla bean and pour 1/3 of the heavy cream mix into the egg mixture while continuously whisking. Pour the egg mixture into the pot with the hot heavy cream and heat to 175 F, while whisking.
- Cool the mixture to about 95 F. Remove the foamy layer on top and distribute the mixture into 4 cold ramekins or similar heat safe bowls. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes. Remove and cool in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Spread a thin layer of Sukrin Gold on the top of the Crème Brûlées. Caramelize quickly using a small torch burner. Cool for a few minutes before serving.
This recipe was adapted from Sukrin Denmark